St. Lawrence County Local Communities on the Net
St. Lawrence County City and Villages
You will find a map of the County showing the City of Ogdensburg and the villages of St. Lawrence County along with statistical data for each village and city.
St. Lawrence County Towns
Here you will find a map of the County showing all the towns of St. Lawrence County along with statistical data for each town.
City of Ogdensburg Home Page
"Visit Ogdensburg, the only city in St. Lawrence County, the largest county east of the Mississippi River! See historic old buildings like the Robert C. McEwen Customs House, oldest federal building in the USA. Take a walking tour of the War of 1812 sites. Enjoy the family vacation place - picnic in the Greenbelt, hear the Gazebo concerts, catch your own fish, waterski, swim in the many parks and playgrounds, scuba dive among the wrecks of the wars of the 18th and 19th centuries, view the spectacular sunsets over the St. Lawrence River, identify the ships of many nations passing by, explore the cultures of neighboring Canada, enjoy marina facilities, boat launches, licensed guides."
Village of Massena Home Page
"Situated along the St. Lawrence River and the border between the United States and Canada, Massena, New York is the gateway to “America’s Fourth Coast.” Eisenhower and Snell Locks in Massena, the only American-owned shipping locks on the St. Lawrence Seaway, were built in the late 1950's and are a vital link to the uppermost portion of the St. Lawrence River and the five Great Lakes which create the “Fourth Coast.” Each year, thousands of visitors climb to the observation deck at Eisenhower Lock to enjoy the view as ships pass by and to extend friendly greetings tocrews from nations around the world."
Village of Canton Home Page
"Canton, New York is located at the foothills of the Adirondack mountains and eighteen miles from the Canadian boarder. The Town of Canton was first settled in 1801 by Stillman Foote, who traveled through the Champlain Valley from Vermont. The Town was officially incorporated in 1805, the Village on May 14, 1847.
"Canton has two colleges, St. Lawrence University, a four year liberal arts University and SUNY Canton College of Technology, a two-year college. Canton is also the County Seat of St. Lawrence County.
"The Town of Canton's population, including college students is 11,000 during the school year and 8,000 when college is not in session. The Village's population during the school year is 6,400 and 2,200 in the summer."
Village of Potsdam Home Page
"Known as the "cultural and educational center of St. Lawrence County," Potsdam is a warm and neighborly community, rich in heritage and tradition while involved in exploration of cutting-edge technology.Victorian-style architecture is blended with modern educational and scientific centers, cultural and shopping facilities, restaurants, medical facilities, airport and accommodations."
Village of Norwood Home Page
"Norwood is a small, quiet village in the St.Lawrence River Valley just twenty miles from the Adirondack Mountains. Norwood is rich in tradition and deep in heritage. We are proud of our village and invite visitors to explore our Web Site and visit our village as well."
Town of Gouverneur Home Page
Gouverneur, founded in 1805, is nestled between the foothills of the majestic Adirondack Mountains and the bustling Thousands Islands of the St. Lawrence River. Gouverneur offers the comfort and safety of living in small-town America, knowing you are a short trip away from a wealth of options for work and play.
Twenty miles to the south is Fort Drum, home of the renowned 10th Mountain Infantry Division. Within 40 miles to our north are the academic communities of St. Lawrence University, Canton College, State University of New York at Potsdam, and Clarkson University.
Village of Gouverneur Home Page
The Village of Gouverneur is rich in history and tradition. This site is designed to inform the public of the many assets in this village, from the village government offices that maintain the ongoing business of the village to the recreational opportunities right here in Gouverneur NY.
Town of Norfolk Home Page
Located along the Racquette River, between Potsdam and Massena, the Town of Norfolk was established on April 9, 1823, by dividing the Town of Louisville in half. Norfolk became a separate township of 35, 500 acres and 108 inhabitants. The boundaries changed in 1834 when a section of Stockholm was added, and again in 1844 when a portion was returned to Louisville.The township saw quick growth and became a major blue collar community of saw mills, paper mills, grist mills, and woolen factories. Today, the Town of Norfolk remains a paper mill community with a population of 4700 people, making Norfolk the sixth largest population center in St. Lawrence County.
HERD Community Network Inc. Home Page
HERD Community Network Inc. Serving the communities of Hermon, Edwards, Russell and DeKalb with Directory Information, News, Government Information, Schools, Historical Society, Jobs, Holiday, and Misc. Information.
Edward-Knox Central School District
The Edwards-Knox Central School District was formed with the merger in 1986 of the Edwards Central and Knox Memorial Central Schools. Located on St. Lawrence County Route 24, the Edwards-Russell Road, this facility has a K-6 wing, a grade 7-12 wing and a centrally located activities area consisting of a large gymnasium, library/study area, auditorium, cafeteria, pool, instrumental and vocal music rooms. Our current enrollment is just under 800 students.
Edwards-Knox Central School offers a comprehensive K-12 curriculum, strong in college and employment preparation. In addition to the typical New York State public high school course offerings, we offer Advanced Placement Biology and Calculus and a number of college level courses.
Town of Fine Homepage
Located in Southwest St. Lawrence County, the Town of Fine is named after John Fine, the original landowner. The town was established in 1844 and Amasa Brown was the first Town Supervisor. The Town is located in the 47th Senatorial District and the 112th Assembly District. It covers an area of approxiamately 169 square miles. The 2000 census population was 1,622. The town is entirely within the Adirondack Park.
Town of De Kalb Homepage
The Town of De Kalb is located between the St. Lawrence River and the foothills of the Adirondacks and encompasses the hamlet of De Kalb Junction, the Village of Richville, and the hamlets of De Kalb, Kendrew and Bigelow. William Cooper of Cooperstown arranged the purchase of De Kalb in February of 1803. The Town of De Kalb was officially chartered by the NYS legislature on February 22, 1806. The first “village” in the township of De Kalb was known as Williamstown or Coopers Village which, by 1814, was a village offering most necessary frontier services. In 1820, when the Coopers were no longer involved, it became known as De Kalb Village.