Public Health Department
80 State Highway 310
Canton, New York 13617-1476
Public Health Director
James Rich, MPH
Monday - Friday 9 AM - 5 PM
September - May
June, July & August: 8 AM - 4 PM
Preventive health care is maintaining good health habits.
Choose MyPlate is a simple reminder to ealt healthy
Health Advice on Eating Sportfish and Game in New York State
For More information click here
Physical Activity Guidelines
Tobacco related illnesses are the number one cause of PREVENTABLE deaths in our country.
Click Here for cessation resources
My Heart. My Life.
The American Heart Association’s My Heart. My Life. healthy living platform is a comprehensive health, wellness and fitnes initiative that empowers Americans to get healthier. Check it out!
Heart disease and stroke are two of the leading causes of death in the United States. Million Hearts™ brings together communities, health systems, nonprofit organizations, federal agencies, and private-sector partners from across the country to fight heart disease and stroke.
GardenShare Local Food Guide
Learn about Health Care Reform
To better understand your options for healthcare coverage and the Health Reform Act, click the above link to the federal government's public information page.
Tobacco Cessation Resources in SLC
Click to view our preventive health services brochure
Poison Control and Prevention
Facts highlighting the public health impact of prescription drug abuse in the United States:
· Drug overdose death rates in the United States have more than tripled since 1990 and are at an historical high. Currently, one-hundred people die from drug overdoses every day in the United States. For more information visit NIDA’s website on prescription drug abuse www.drugabuse.gov/drugs-abuse/prescription-drugs.
· In 2009, more than 37,000 people died from drug overdoses, and the majority of these deaths involved prescription drugs. In fact, prescription painkillers were involved in more than 15,500 deaths in 2009, more than cocaine and heroin combined. For more information, please visit www.cdc.gov/homeandrecreationalsafety/rxbrief/.
· Enough prescription painkillers were sold in 2010 to medicate every American adult around the clock for a month. For more information visit NIDA’s website on prescription drug abuse www.drugabuse.gov/drugs-abuse/prescription-drugs.
· The rise in prescription painkiller overdose deaths in the U.S. parallels a four-fold increase since 1999 in the sale of prescription painkillers – also known as opioid pain relievers. For more information, please visit www.cdc.gov/homeandrecreationalsafety/rxbrief/.
· Nearly three out of four prescription drug overdoses involve a prescription painkiller. For more information, please visit www.cdc.gov/homeandrecreationalsafety/rxbrief/.
Hand washing is one of the most important ways to prevent the spread of infection and illness.
CA-MRSA - Community-Associated Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus
- Information Sheet click here
Careful hand washing is the single most effective way to control the spread of CA-MRSA.
For More Information click on links below:
- New York State Department of Health
- Centers for Disease Control